National Knowledge Network (NKN)
Krishna University is connected with National Knowledge Network (NKN) with an aim to connect all the institutions engaged in the generation and dissemination of knowledge in various areas, such as universities, research laboratories and other institutions of higherlearning, including professional institutions throughout the country.
NKN network is designed with the aim of providing :
• Highest level of availability
• Robust & reliable connectivity
• Highest level of Scalability (specifically planned to match the unknown future demands which cannot be envisaged currently)
• Best Bandwidth Capacity: For NKN, various National Long Distance Carriers (NLDs) have provided 1Gbps/2.5Gbps capacity which can be self healed. Further, the NLDs are in process of upgrading (using DWDM) to 10Gbps or more connectivity
The services of NKN can be
mainly categorized under the following heads:
• Generic Services: Internet, Intranet, Network Management Views, e-Mail, Messaging Gateways, Caching Gateways, Domain Name System, Web Hosting, Voice over IP, Multipoint Control Unit (MCU) Services, Video Portals, SMS Gateway, Co- Location Services, Video Streaming etc.
• Community Services: Shared Storage, e-Mail List Software Application (LISTSERV), Authentication Service, EVO, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), Collaboration Service, Content Delivery Service, International Collaborations with EU-India Grid, Global Ring Network for Advanced Applications Development (GLORIAD) etc.
Special Services: Virtual Private Network Switching Services [VPN@L2 (Virtual Private Wire Service / Virtual Private LAN Service), VPN@L3] etc.